Wednesday 11 January 2012

so slow...

OMG. I had all day (other than 2 hours when I went out for a haircut - lookin' good!) and still got only one page completed. Took ages to find and register online for some free stock images when I couldn't find what I wanted amongst my own photos; then the materials I was using wouldn't behave (well, didn't do what I was wanting and expecting); I spent ages with the hairdryer trying to speed things up; and then my gloss medium dried sticky and I had to create a non-stick barrier between pages that looked like it was exactly how I'd planned it. Oh, the artistic obstacles! (Puts back of hand to brow and sighs faintly but long-sufferingly.)

I really enjoyed the whole process. It's been so long since I've allowed myself to spend some actual time on art that I'd forgotten how caught up in it all I can get. Usually I'm looking for a quick fix, but today I was thorough, and the one page I completed is simple but effective, and I like how it turned out in the end. And I did get tomorrow's page started, if you can call 5 attempts at printing a poem out on several variations of an image without any of them working, a start.

Our giant dining table, for which I waited so long to bring home from my late parents' house, has disappeared beneath boxes of materials: stickers, paints, felt pens, stamps, scrapbooking paper, construction paper, tissue paper, hand-made paper, magazines, crayons, calligraphy pens, Sharpies, stencils, feathers, oil sticks, buttons, and art books. And it's not even the table I'm working on.

It feels awesome.

No comments: