Thursday 19 January 2012

Learning stuff

Bum. Turns out gel pens aren't waterproof. I wrote over the text of my blue poem, as planned, and it looked awesome. Then I moved on to the next poem page overleaf. The painted surface needed touching up, and I managed to find the right colour amongst my collection of test pots (Resene Moulin Rouge), but I was careless (what's new) and let it go over the edge to the previous page. No biggie - it's quite hard not to do that - and I knew I just needed to dab at it with a wet cloth to lift it off while it was still wet. And I figured that it added to the texture of the page's backgound anyway. Unfortunately, the wetness spread to the gel text and smudged it rather badly.

I patted at the smudgy blue with a dry Chux and that prevented it from spreading too badly, but then of course the writing was faded and a bit blurred, so I had to go over the affected parts again. Interesting effect: now the text has different intensities of blue, which I quite like!

I've added a page warning at the top that the page isn't waterproof. It seemed sensible. I thought about spraying it with a fixative, but the one I have is meant for charcoal and pastels and I don't have a sample of the appropriate surface that I can test it on. So I'll just leave it be, I think.

Tomorrow I'm going out in the afternoon, so work will be interrupted. I'll try and get back into it in the evening, but Friday night's got some good tele, so I might not get back to it until Saturday. The weather forecast for the weekend is a bit scrappy, so I won't mind being inside.

No comments: