Wednesday 31 January 2007

Book and Theatre Review

The dinner went well. No leftovers, which is a good sign. There were only 7 diners in the end - second youngest daughter's partner had an essay to write. Which didn't stop her from texting s-y-d at least 4 times during the meal because she was lonely. My English sister had a ball. She lives alone these days and misses family dinners.

I finally finished reading TC Boyle's The Inner Circle. It was good - it was TCB after all - but more character-driven than I am fond of. I like a good plot, I'm afraid. But at least I finished it, unlike Drop City, which I couldn't like.

I've also read Jasper Fforde's The Big Over Easy, and loved it. It took me a while to get into. At first I thought it read much like a first novel from a good idea that someone might go back to and rewrite after having a successful publication experience (as Fforde indeed has); but as I read on I became more and more aware that it is actually just as accomplished a piece of writing as the earlier books. Need I say I loved them too? It's a superbly realised crime story with a difference - all the main players are nursery rhyme characters, including Humpty Dumpty (the victim) and Jack Spratt (the seemingly overlooked but very much under-estimated detective). References to other fictional detectives (Inspector Moose of Oxford, and Inspector Dogleash) are amusing, and the short newspaper items that introduce each chapter are mini masterpieces of fictional journalism. A great example of two merged genres: fantasy and crime. And I think there's a Fford I might have missed, so I'll have to have a look for it next time I'm at the library.

However, much as I enjoyed Spratt's crime-solving genius, I have to say the highlight of my last few weeks has been Menopause, the Musical! This stage show knocks the socks off anything I've seen in years. It helps that I knew most of the songs that were adapted for the show ("It's my body, and I'll cry if I want to", "Just stand and fan" [to "Stand by your man"], and "My thighs" ["My guy"]) to name the most memorable ones. "Fever" hardly needed adapting at all! Baby boomers unite - you've nothing to lose but your hot flushes. It's not only hysterically, eye-wateringly funny, it's remarkably empowering, and the scriptwriters and talented performers achieved it without once diminishing men in the process. The man sitting in front of me (surrounded by middle-aged and elderly women) laughed as hard as anyone. It's very impressive, and I'll probably have to go and see it again. It'll be worth the cost for the Tina Turner parody alone.

The comet is still barely visible, on the nights when the sky is as well, but it won't be for much longer. It's been fun.

No comments: